July 9, 2009

Hymns that Communicate Grace

Sometimes pain is too much for words, other times peace escapes us, and even burdens laden us while we are crying out to God in prayer. Yet, is there no wonder to the reason why God has orchestrated songs to comfort us in hard times? It is a wonder, and I am thankful that my grandmother knows so many of my favorite songs, because now we are singing them together every Thursday night after we spend a little time talking, reading the Bible, meditating on God's wonders and praying for people. Here are some songs we love to sing, and did sing tonight as we comforted one another with the words and our voices:

1. Great is Thy Faithfulness
2. What a Friend We Have In Jesus
3. Teach Me Lord to Wait
4. Just and Right is He

Here are the lyrics with some presently meaningful lines highlighted (and below are the You Tube videos):

1. Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Refrain

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Refrain

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Refrain


2. What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!

What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.


3. (This song is one my grandma taught me)

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength
They shall mount up with wings as eagles
They shall run and not be weary
They shall walk and not be faint
Teach me Lord, teach me Lord to wait.

Teach me Lord to wait, down on my knees
'till in your own good time you've answered my pleas
Help me not to rely on what others do
but to wait in prayer for an answer from you


4. (This one I was also taught by her, but she learned it from an old pastor who would sing it every Sunday in front of his congregation before he preached. I had the privilege of seeing him do this one time on resurrection Sunday. This song is from Deuteronomy 32:4).

He is the Rock, His work is perfect:
for all His ways are judgment:
a God of truth and without iniquity
just and right is He
Just and right is He
Hallelujah!
Just and right is He
A God of truth and without iniquity
Just and right is He.


1.

2.
3.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

This is so sweet. Blessings of comfort and edification to you and your dear Grandma.

Laurie Lynn said...

A few more thoughts were brought to mind concerning your post.
Last Lord’s Day during the meeting with the church, our 3 yr. old grandson, Henry sat between Mike (my husband, Henry’s Grandpa) and me. (Later in the meeting Henry was asleep sprawled out on my lap!) I was struck with the thought of how desirous I am that one day Henry will sit in the same meeting with assurance of God’s calling on his life and declare God’s mercy and grace. It was a “grandma/grandson/big picture/ Henry and God moment” and it was a call to pray for this small boy who will hopefully be God’s child/ boy/young man very soon! And may the Lord grant Henry and me a desire to sing hymns known by heart together to our God and Savior as you and your grandma have! Blessings and heavenly comfort indeed!

Penn Tomassetti said...

Thank you Laurie for your comments. Believe me, it took a miracle of grace through Christ to save me and change me forever. May the Lord work that miracle in your family as well!

God bless!