September 18, 2008

The Gospel is About Love

Romans 5:8
"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

This is God's love: The Son of God died on a tree in place of me (1 John 4:9-10). The Son of God gave his life in exchange for mine. The Son of God experienced His Father's judgment and wrath instead of me. Love... Love that is out of this world. Love from God while I was still a sinner (ungodly, under God's wrath, an enemy of God - Romans 5:6,8,9,10), Christ died for me. That is love, and that is the good news.

It had nothing to do with my decision either, because God decided to love me in this way without consulting me. If the LORD had said to me, "What do you think if I send my Son, and have Him die instead of you?" I probably would have said, "No! I'll pay for my own sin. Thank you." But God didn't ask me, instead, He sent Christ into the world as a baby, and the Lord Jesus arrested my heart with His love (Galatians 2:20; Revelation 1:5-6).

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life." (Romans 5:10 ESV).

This is good news of great joy (Luke 2:10) and it is worth preaching (proclaiming) to the world!

Grace, peace and love to all who treasure Jesus with lasting joy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's righteous love of His holiness: isn't it profound that God is eternally satisfied and in love with His holiness? Enough to preserve it, sustain it, defend it. Nothing can defile Him. Yet his love for us is such that He invites us in to enjoy Him, to witness His holiness, to commune with His truth, to live forever with Him at his total expense and in our total depravity. Grace is amazing, and worth proclaiming.

Anonymous said...

"to live forever with Him at his total expense and in our total depravity. Grace is amazing, and worth proclaiming."

Amen. Except we will not live with God in our depravity, but in His holiness, since we will be glorified. I think that may be what you meant?

Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

He 'invites' us to, in our depravity.

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite verse. Anytime I'm feeling like I'm living my Christian life in my own strength, I'm humbled by this proclamation, "while we were still sinners..." What a God we serve! Such a shame we don't praise Him the way we should.

Penn Tomassetti said...

semifl,
I see the connection now that you pointed it out. Thanks.

Ashley,
When I read this chapter out loud and come to that verse, it really moves me emotionally. I think even more so now that I understand better what it means when it says, "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

"What a God we serve!"
Amen! What a Savior!
God bless you.