September 5, 2008

Psalm 119 Aleph and Beth

As I said in my last post, I'm memorizing the longest Psalm in the Bible, which is also my favorite. I want to memorize it, because much of it is a prayer that I often need to pray for myself. I feel helpless, just like the Psalmist, when I desire to keep God's commands, so that is why I pray, "Incline my heart to your Word," "Teach me," and "Give me understanding!" My drive to work is a lengthy one, so that is a good time to repeat Scripture out loud in my car.

I hope this will encourage any of my readers to memorize Scripture also, or please share with me what you have been memorizing and why. How do you pray when you desire to do what God has said? Do you honestly desire to keep God's statutes and commands? If so, why? Does it seem impossible to do, let alone even have the desire? Perhaps by reading along with me, you will be encouraged to pray Psalm 119, and to think a little deeper into why it was written.

Here is where I am so far (without looking):

Psalm 119 (ESV)
Aleph
Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the LORD!
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!
You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
Oh that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.
I will keep your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me!

Beth
How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you,
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O LORD;
teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

7 comments:

Angela said...

I love praying Psalm 119-it takes forever, but it is so good! Very cool that you are memorizing it.

Penn Tomassetti said...

Angela:
You're right, "it takes forever, but it is so good!" LOL:)

I sometimes think, who is able to live like this? I don't even come close to "blameless"! Then I remember that all Scripture points to one man - Jesus Christ. I am still amazed that the Father sent Him to be my Savior.

Meshaay said...

I tried to memorize this Psalm. Unfortunately I stopped at about verse 40.

What I'm memorizing: I skip around, and I do it by putting it to music on my guitar. Since I remember words of songs better than anything, and since I play the song/s almost everyday, it's the best way for me to memorize Scripture. Jesus and I work on one every Friday. I'm still working at it but I'm getting more consistent :-D

Why I'm memorizing: I want His words with me always. I think it's really cool to be able to speak His words. I want to memorize the whole Bible! With God's help I will :-)

How I pray when I desire to obey God: Longingly. And repetitively.

Do I honestly desire to obey God: totally!

Why: I love Him. I really do. All I want is Him. I won't be satisfied until He is totally first. I REALLY need to work on that. I'd appreciate it if you'd pray for me.

Does it seem impossible: Only when I let it seem that way. I know it's not, but if I allow myself to sink, then it feels like I'll NEVER get it. Same with the desire. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. It's when it's not that I feel the worst.

Perhaps by reading along with me, you will be encouraged to pray Psalm 119, and to think a little deeper into why it was written. I sure hope so. I pray God helps you memorize the whole thing :-D

In Christ
Meshaay

Stephanie said...

I think I already mentioned that I'm working on Philippians, but as to why...I really wanted to try and tackle a book and Philippians has a lot of great verses in it to know by heart! (3:8-14;4:6-8, to name a couple)So why do I memorize...hmmm. I've noticed that when I know verses by heart, God will often bring one of the applicable verses to mind throughout the day when I need it. Or even in prayer. That's always encouraging to me.

"Do you honestly desire to keep God's statutes and commands? If so, why? Does it seem impossible to do, let alone even have the desire?"

Yes! This is something I've been thinking about lately. Inwardly, I long to obey and follow God, but I think even that desire is a gift of His grace. I also need His grace to follow through and be obedient! Being in the Word a lot helps.

cj said...

Lately, I have not been memorizing scripture like I should be:(

Thanks for the encouragment!

All 4 him
-cj

Anonymous said...

Meshaay:
Thank you for your comments, and for answering my questions!

I love it when musical people turn Scripture into song. I pray for people to do that, bc I can't. Do you record any of your songs? I wish churches would sing more Scripture songs, so we could be memorizing it in the way the Psalms were intended to be remembered (through song).

Thanks for praying for God to help me memorize Psalm 119. You know, its funny that you said, "I want to memorize the whole Bible! With God's help I will :-)" because I pray that I God would help me memorize the whole Bible, too! I want to read it well, so that it just gets engraved in my mind.

I liked reading your thoughts on this, thanks.

Stephanie:
Thanks for commenting and for your answers. I agree, I know the desire to do God's word is "a gift of grace" - amen. I looked up those verses and I agree, they are worth memorizing the book of Philippians for, especially this one: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." (4:8).

CJ:
Thanks for your comment. I love asking the hard question to those who say what you said... "How much should you be memorizing?" ;)

I hope you enjoy what you read.
God bless.

~Penn

Meshaay said...

I've thought about it, but no, I don't record any of them. My voice sounds strangely worse most of the time when I record it :-P lol