September 8, 2008

He

Today was tough for memorizing. My brain was beginning to freeze up; I had to hit restart more than once! Perhaps it was the fatigue from a busy weekend, or that I have been memorizing 8 verses [1 stanza] from Psalm 119 a day for the past five days in a row. It may soon be time for slowing down and focusing on reviewing what I've burnt into my memory space to keep it organized and clean. I was able to recite all five stanza's today, but not without resetting once in a while and a little help from my Bible to correct my mistakes. I can literally fly thru Alef, then Beth I have to slow down and think, then Gimel and Daleth need some polishing, and finally He is to the point where I can write it down without looking [this time including the footnote alternate reading at the end of verse 33].

He
Teach me, O LORD, in the way of your statutes;
and I will keep it to the end [or I will keep it as my reward].
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the way of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
that you may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life!

3 comments:

Angela said...

Is this the NRG version? I'll have to check it against the NIV because standing alone this stanza? really speaks to me. It is good to see it by itself, because you know how long 119 is, sometimes I rush through praying it and don't get a chance to really absorb it.

Anonymous said...

Angela,
The New Revised Grace Version doesn't come in the OT yet, but this is the ESV (English Standard Version). I really like this version, but the one that I really liked reading for Psalm 119 was the NLT (which I don't own and it probably changes some wording a little too much, but it was great for praying this Psalm).

Anonymous said...

...it is verses 33-40, in case you were wondering.